Monday, November 15, 2010

Day 11 (September 17, 2010)

I should have trusted my instincts on this one. David was very nice, but not my type in the slightest.

I showed up five minutes late to the restaurant & sat in my car another 5. I was texting Pete. Pete knew I had this date…so maybe he was just trying to make me late. He told me to have a good time, I put my phone on silent & walked inside.

David looked older in person. At 5’10,” I knew why I was interested in taller men. His accent was thicker than dried concrete. But, he was genuine! We talked about our jobs, he acted legitimately interested when I told him about copiers and he made me laugh a little, but I knew from five minutes into the date that I wouldn’t be interested in seeing him again. He would have to be in the “friend zone.” One tallboy and a plate of nachos later, we went back to his roommate’s girlfriend’s birthday party at David’s house. His house was nice, his friends were completely enjoyable company & I held some decent conversations…but I kept remembering that I was on a date with this guy that I knew I wouldn’t care to see again. I left around 8:15 to (possibly) meet up with some friends in Norman, thus summoning the awkward walk to the car.

While I kept my physical distance to avoid having my hand held, David and I continued the small-talk that had proceeded the entire 120 minutes prior. My car was a good block away. As we approached my car I thanked him for taking me out and told him it was nice to meet him. We shared an eighth grade dance hug (don’t touch pelvises), he said “so…uhh…yeah” (this is guy-language for “I’m going to kiss you, apparently) and came in for the kill. I averted the kiss like a wet cat averts a hug, kissed his cheek and pulled away quickly. I just couldn’t do it! I got into my car, thanked him again and drove 10 mph faster than I should have in a residential neighborhood.

I ended up not going to Norman that night. I was exhausted and a little bit tipsy. I stopped at the Target a mile from David’s house so that I wouldn’t have to drive after just finishing another beer. I walked it off and bought markers, antacid, black bean salsa and cute pair of purple flats as a decoy. Pete and I were texting the whole time.

Once I felt sober, I got back in my car and drove home. I opened my new jar of black bean salsa then went straight to bed. I was too exhausted to do anything or see anyone. Hot date, huh?

Before falling asleep, I received two texts from David telling me that he had fun and would like to see me again tomorrow. I replied: “I had a nice time, too, but I really don’t feel any chemistry between us. I’m sorry. Good luck!! :o).” David thanked me for being honest returned the good luck wish.

He really was a nice guy. I felt bad because I didn’t want to hurt his feelings, but there wasn’t anything there for me…I wouldn’t have wanted for there to be something “there” for him to get his hopes up. I slept very well.

1 comment:

  1. I just caught up on all your posts - I'm loving it!!! I love how honest you are with yourself, and with "us" (readers). I can't wait to hear more!